Tuesday 19 May 2009

The Wire



[If you've not seen all of The Wire yet, the following contains perilous scenes of spoilers] When Buffy left the building I wondered if I would enjoy a TV show as much again. When a friend told me that there was this cop show that was really good, I was sceptical. A cop show? The only thing I can remember enjoying on TV that was remotely near a cop show was The Avengers. And with a martial arts leap in a leather cat suit we're more or less back to Buffy. But, trusting my friend’s advice and her track record for recommending "good TV" (to be intonated like "good Police") The Wire entered into my life where it will stay forever as one of my beloved "things" into which I will take into my Pyramid mausoleum. Three episodes in to the first series I thought to myself "yeah, I can see how this is good but I don't see myself getting addicted". How wrong I was. I couldn't know that casual viewing could only lead to harder obsession. I could have talked to "Frank" but by then it was too late. The pace at which I gorged myself on episodes upped so much that I have consumed the five series at three times the recommended metabolic televisual rate since late last autumn, so much so that I am on re-views now and have already seen series one again. Any suggestions for my next TV fix are welcome.

To read the rest if this article go to: http://julianhall.livejournal.com/10800.html